We cannot believe it’s December already!
December and the onset of various festive holidays (Channukah, Christmas and New Years) means that sparkling wine is in high demand. Who wouldn’t want a bit of sparkle in their lives, at the longest, darkest point of the year (and after a year that has been extremely taxing)? 🤔
Taking this in mind, we have prepared a gift guide that celebrates a number of key themes that have come up this year: celebrating local, supporting wineries and hospitality partners where possible (especially by buying direct from wineries and agents), and that sparkling wine is a spectrum. On that last point, we have broken down the diverse spectrum that is sparkling wine and created categories with options in a variety of price points to help make your gift giving this holiday season a little easier. Whether you’re spending the holidays sipping bubbles with your bubble, virtually connecting with family and friends, or saying hello to a selection of loved ones at a distance (with a doorstep drop off), we got you covered! 😎
We present to you, our 2020 Sparkling Winos gift guide. We are sure you’ll see your loves ones, or yourselves, in some if not all of the categories!
For the Localvore 👨🌾
There’s so much to love about local, and we have been shopping directly with our favourite wineries and producers throughout the year. We have had the honour to profile countless wines, but for this holiday season, we have selected three sparkling wines from Ontario that we enjoyed and that which we feel represent a range of production methods, styles and price points. Please shop directly with wineries, where you can!
- Foreign Affair Rosé Brut 2019 VQA – $24.95 – Buy Winery Direct
- Leaning Post 2017 Sparkling Zero Dosage VQA – $45.00 – Buy Winery Direct
- Adamo Estates 2016 Blanc de Blancs VQA (Note: the Blanc de Noir is pictured above because we may or may not have enjoyed the Blanc de Blancs already 🙊) – $52.00 – Buy Winery Direct
For the Fashionista 💅
For the fashionista in your bubble that loves to sparkle and shine (like Milo 😆), we have selected sparkling wines that will help convey that ethos with their presentation (and in the glass, of course!). From accessible with a kiss of sweetness, to a little more extravagant (and rich with aromatics and on the profile), we have you covered with this trio!
- Bottega Gold Prosecco – $27.95 – Buy at the LCBO
- Freixenet Prosecco DOC – $19.95 – Buy at the LCBO
- Veuve Clicquot Rich Champagne – $89.80 – Buy at the LCBO
For That Special Someone 👩❤️💋👨
Who says romance is dead in the time of COVID-19? We sure don’t! For that special someone in your life (that you may or may not have spent 8 months with), we have selected three rose sparkling wines which we hope will help you celebrate and appreciate one another. Seductive in their appearance, presentation and personality, here are three pink bubbles we think will help put the “spark” in sparkling wine. 😉
- Moët & Chandon Brut Rosë Imperial (Personalized!) – $86.65 – Buy Direct from the Atelier on Queen
- Fita Azul Passion – $13.35 – Buy at the LCBO
- 2017 Raventos i Blanc De Nit – $32.95 – Buy Direct from Cru Wine Merchants
Stocking Stuffers 🧦
It goes without saying that gift giving will be different this year. We won’t be seeing our usual crew, and the casual get togethers and gift giving with friends and more distant family is on pause for now. But, that’s not to say you can’t stuff stockings or leave doorstep deliveries for your friends and faves… right? We’ve selected some approachable wines that will fit that bill (and won’t break the bank) for you! The more bubbles the merrier! 😉
- Mionetto Prosecco – $16.95 – Buy at the LCBO
- Toro Bravo Secco – $11.95 – Buy at the LCBO
- Peelee Island Lola Secco Sparkling VQA – $14.95 – Buy at the LCBO
The Traveller… at least, within Canada 🇨🇦
This has been an unprecedented year. We’ve read, heard and used the word unprecedented an unprecedented amount of times. Like many, we have had our travel plans upended and hope we can one day do so safely. We are lucky enough to still travel within parts of Canada, and so we thought: why not celebrate that? So, with this category, we present three wines that will allow you to travel (by the glass) to beautiful British Columbia, our homeland of Ontario and quaint Nova Scotia.
- 13th Street Premier Cuvée 2014 (Ontario) – $39.95 – Buy Winery Direct
- Fitzpatrick Family Vineyards Fitz Brut 2016 (British Columbia) – $32.99 – Buy Winery Direct
- Lightfoot and Wolfville 2014 Blanc de Blancs Brut (Nova Scotia) – $39.13 – Buy Winery Direct
For the Sparkling Wino! 🍾
We have had the pleasure of tasting many incredible sparkling wines, and often search for unique and special wines (either as gifts for ourselves or those in our circle – sommeliers, discerning wine loving friends and fellow “Sparkling Winos”). So for that Sparkling Wino in your life, consider these unique wines which shine in their category and offer something different, be it the complexity of their profile, their place of origin or their story. We’re suckers for good studies, a cozy fire and… a glass of sparkling!
- Henriot Brut Souverain NV – $74.95 – Buy Direct from Woodman Wine & Spirits
- Domaine Carneros Brut Cuvée Sparkling 2016 – $49.95 – Buy at the LCBO
- Ridgeview Bloomsbury Brut NV (Note: this is a different cuvée than the Cavendish pictured above) – $55.95 – Buy Direct from Rogers & Company