This is “POP or FLOP”, where we taste test sparkling wines so you don’t have to! This week we’re sipping Cave de Hoen Mausberg Blanc de Blancs Brut Crémant d’Alsace – say that 5 times fast! 😜 So, without further ado… is this a bottle of bubbles you should POP? 💁 Or is it a FLOP? 🙅 Let’s see…
If you live in Ontario you may have noticed this bottle of bubbly pop up on LCBO shelves within the past week or so (it was released in Vintages in limited quantities on August 5th). These “hidden gems” can be a real treat… and you can never go wrong with a Crémant (especially with that $17.95 price tag)! Crémant sparkling wines come from France, and are produce using the same “Méthode Traditionnelle” as Champagne. This particular example comes from Alsace, just slightly south-east of the Champagne region, along the border of Germany. The vineyards are sustainably farmed, with environmental awareness playing a key role from vine to bottle. After the first fermentation, the wine is bottled and undergoes it’s secondary fermentation in bottle before spending 12 months ageing sur lie.
- Pale shimmering gold colour, bursting with fine bubbles and topped with a delicate mousse.
- Lemon gelato, baked yellow apple, white flower and a distinct minerality.
- Medium bodied, dry, with a refreshingly crisp acidity. Packed with intense flavour, compared to a somewhat more subdued nose. Bursting with citrus (lemon curd and lime zest), tree fruit (yellow apple, pear and peach), a distinct creaminess, a zesty minerality and hint of brioche. Extremely well balanced, and very pleasant to drink.
- We thoroughly enjoyed sipping this sparkling wine on its own! It’s perfect for an aperitif, but could certainly stack up to food.
Try it with a seafood appetizer like fried calamari, or with roast chicken and creamy mashed potatoes.
- It’s … a POP! We we’re shocked to find out this Crémant was priced at only $17.95. Guess the secret isn’t out yet! This is a delicate,
yet complex, wine that’s the perfect sipper to share before dinner or enjoy with your meal. And at that price… why not on a Tuesday?! Definitely grab some before it’s all gone!