This is “POP or FLOP”, where we taste test sparkling wines so you don’t have to! (Tough job, we know! 😉) This week we’re sipping the 2013 Blanc de Blancs from Frank Family Vineyards in sunny California! A beautiful Méthode Traditionnelle sparkling Chardonnay that is riddled by hand! 😱 So, is this Cali sparkler a bottle of bubbles you should POP? 💁 Or is it a FLOP? 🙅 Let’s see…
Frank Family Vineyards is located in picturesque Calistoga, California. Not only is it in the heart of Napa, it’s home to one of the most sought after tasting rooms in the area and was voted “Winery of the Year” 8 years in a row! How amazing is that? Not one to rest on a pedestal, winemaker Todd Graff sources his fruit from 150 plus hectares of estate vineyards to make a range of beautiful and expressive Californian wines. After all, while well regarded and a destination, Frank Family Vineyards puts family and wine first! Luckily for us, there’s a sparkling component to the Frank Family’s sought after portfolio. On cold winter days in Canada, the 2013 Blanc de Blancs is bound to brighten up our chilly nights with memories of that wonderful Cali sunshine. So, without further ado, let’s taste shall we?
- Pale straw in colour, with a creamy mousse and mesmerizing effervescence of tiny bubbles. Looking so luxe and elegant, we couldn’t wait to taste! 😍
- On the nose we were met with inviting aromas of delicate white flower, honeysuckle, brioche, baked yellow apple, ripe pear, white peach, lemon zest and a distinctive wet stone mineral character.
- The palate was bursting with fresh tree fruit (crisp green apple, bosc pear, fleshy white peach) and citrus (lemon gelato and candied grapefruit). Complimented by a lovely toasty nuttiness, crisp acidity, medium body, creamy mouthfeel, and a lingering citrus and mineral driven finish. All the things we love from a Chardonnay based sparkler!
Food Pairing 🍽
- This wine is crisp, clean and elegant, and would pair wonderfully with a variety of French dishes. Think Nicoise salad, herbed chicken, creamy cheeses, or… just a second glass! 😉
The Verdict? 💁
- It’s … a POP! This Blanc de Blancs is a stunning example of premium California sparkling. Aged on its lees for three years, and hand riddled before disgorgement (how cool is that? 😍) it’s as memorizing and memorable as an West Coast sunset… and we’re all about taking it all in! 😜 Bursting with fresh tree fruit and citrus flavours, along with a lovely creaminess and long mineral driven finish, this is an excellent food wine, or one to just sip on its own while California Dreamin’. 😎