This is “POP or FLOP”, where we taste test sparkling wines so you don’t have to! This week we’re sipping Konzelmann Estate Winery’s Sparkling Rosé, a fresh and vibrant charmat method bubbly crafted from Merlot. So, is this a bottle of bubbles you should POP? 💁 Or is it a FLOP? 🙅 Let’s see…
Konzelmann Estate Winery is located in the Niagara Peninsula appellation of Ontario – and boy, is the winery beautiful! As Niagara’s only lakefront winery, it is a destination onto its own! 😍 In 1984, fourth generation winemaker Herbert Konzelmann arrived in Niagara-on-the-Lake from Germany, wishing to establish a Canadian winery under his family’s guidance. When Herbert arrived in Niagara, he specifically selected a site located along the shores of beautiful Lake Ontario because it offered a mesoclimate well suited for the wines the family wished to grow! It’s no surprise, then, that Konzelmann Estate Winery has received many accolades over the years, including a shout out in Wine Spectator. 😎 So, without further ado, let’s get down to business, shall we?
- Vibrant bold coral colour, with a vivacious effervescence and enticing mousse.
- Dominated by juicy red fruit (strawberry and raspberry) and complimented by tart cherry. The almost sunset-like colour and fruit forward nose of this wine ignited our senses as we poured a glass as an apéritif in our backyard… and we couldn’t wait to taste! 😎
- The palate was very similar to the nose, dominated by fresh red berries and tree fruit. However, it had a very distinct and interesting creaminess to it, which gave the wine a delicious strawberry gelato-like character. YUM! 😍 It wasn’t long before we were reaching for a refill!
- This wine is all about the juicy red fruit, and with the hint of sweetness we thought it would pair perfectly with a homemade pizza grilled on the BBQ topped with a soft cheese and spicy salami… and we were right! The touch of sweetness helps to balance the spice, and the refreshing acidity (and bubbles!) cleanse the palate between bites.
- It’s … a POP! This is the perfect wine to help cling on to those last days summer… and to continue sipping well into the fall! 😉 Light bodied, with a crisp acidity and off-dry, it’s extremely versatile and makes for a lovely aperitif, an accompaniment to a meal with a bit of spice, or in place of dessert. That strawberry gelato-like character tho!!