This is “POP or FLOP”, where we taste test sparkling wines so you don’t have to! This week we’re sipping Nino Franco Brut Prosecco Superiore! Now, that’s a mouthful of a name, eh? 😁 Nino Franco’s Prosecco is recognized by many in the wine world and hails from Valdobbiadene in Treviso, a stone’s throw away from Venice. Nino Franco has also been instrumental in promoting this wine style, which we all know and love! So, without further ado… is this a bottle of bubbles you should POP? 💁 Or is it a FLOP? 🙅 Let’s see…
Founded in 1919, Nino Franco is a legend in the Prosecco world and a large producer whose wines are available across the globe. In 2016, we were lucky enough to have a private tasting arranged at Nino Franco’s Winery with Primo Franco, a third generation wine maker, and a real “Prosecco-lebrity”! Primo was a charming, charismatic and commanding guy, who was curious about two guys from Toronto touring the “Prosecco Road” (…we’re the Sparkling Winos, isn’t that reason enough?). In all seriousness, it was a pleasure to taste Nino Franco’s wines, including the Brut Prosecco Superiore, so close to the “birthplace” of a sparkling wine phenomenon (read all about our visit here!). So, how does the Nino Franco Brut Prosecco Superiore stack up to all the other Prosecco’s out there? Read on to find out!
- Beautiful, almost greenish-gold hue, persistent bubbles.
- Lovingly aromatic and fruity in the glass, with dominant floral and tree fruit aromas. Lots of crisp pear and yellow apple!
- Light bodied, dry, with medium-high acidity and a very refreshing finish. Well balanced, with a lively mouthfeel leading to predominant flavours of pear and citrus. A very enjoyable sipper and gateway to the rest of Nino Franco’s sparkling wines!
- This wine is great as an aperitif given the refreshing acidity and light body. It also pairs very well with a variety of foods, including appetizers, such as ceviche and lobster tails – and if you’re trying to keep it local, polenta and Cicchetti (Venetian apps, akin to Tapas)! 😍
- It’s … a POP! We love Nino Franco’s “gateway” Prosecco and we were so jazzed to see it here in the LCBO’s Vintages Section! The only question is, how many bottles will we stock up on? 😂 The Nino Franco Brut Prosecco Superiore is very much a crowd pleaser!